From April 1, 2017, it became easier for students, highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers to start their own businesses. From that date on, labor market annotations on these residence permits will change and  highly-skilled migrants and students can start their own business along-side their jobs or studies. Scientific researchers are also completely free to enter the labor market.

However, a work permit (TWV) is still required for regular employment of students. If the work doesn’t exceed 10 hours per week, this work permit will be easily granted. A work permit is also required for highly-skilled migrants who want to do other work or work for another employer. There is a risk of large fines by the Labor Inspectorate for the employer or sponsor employing without one.

Immigration lawyer Amsterdam

Scheers Advocacy can advise on starting a business in the Netherlands or work with foreign nationals. For more information, please contact Scheers Advocacy.